Skip to main content
Critical alert


Together, we can stop the spread! For the latest updates and resources, visit the Government’s dedicated website:

Close alert

What activities need a resource consent?

Land use consents

Different land uses can affect water quality, land stability and the incidence of flooding. You may need a land use consent to:


Water consents

Damming, diverting and taking water can affect people's ability to use the water, as well as affecting stream plant and animal life. You may need a water consent to:

Discharge consents

Discharging contaminants into the environment can affect water, air and soil quality. There can be serious impacts on the health and safety of people, animals and plants. You may need a discharge consent to:

Coastal consents

Coastal consents help protect the resources in the Waikato region's coastal marine area (CMA). This is a defined area of foreshore, seabed, coastal water, and air space above the sea. Spring high tide lines (‘mean high water springs’) extend the CMA further inland if the line crosses a river.  It may pay to seek advice as to the exact location of the CMA if you are seeking consent in that vicinity.

You may need a coastal consent to:

  • remove or introduce plant life
  • take or use water
  • discharge potentially contaminated water or water containing sediment
  • discharge treated or untreated wastes
  • dam or divert water
  • remove or deposit sand, shell, shingle or other natural materials
  • erect, place, use or occupy space for a structure
  • construct or alter a jetty or a marina
  • build erosion protection walls
  • operate a marine farm
  • use a vehicle
  • dredge
  • carry out drainage works
  • carry out a reclamation
  • carry out a declamation
Activities that do not require resource consents

You do not need a resource consent if your activity is expressly allowed under the Resource Management Act (RMA).

Waikato Regional Council also has a range of ‘permitted activities’, which can be carried out with resource consent as long as they comply with certain conditions. Find out more, here.