Skip to main content
Critical alert


Together, we can stop the spread! For the latest updates and resources, visit the Government’s dedicated website:

Close alert

Preparing your application

Photo of a culvert.Talk to us first

The information you provide with your resource consent helps us evaluate the potential effects of your activities on your local environment. It also helps others who may be affected to clearly understand what you’re intending to do.

We can advise you on:

  • what resource consents you require
  • the supporting information you’ll need to provide with your application
  • other people who should be consulted with about your proposal
  • the general process, and what you can do to make the process as smooth as possible.

You can make the consent application process a lot easier by talking to Waikato Regional Council first. You’ll avoid unnecessary delays and extra costs later in the process because we’ll help you identify everything you’ll need to include with your application right at the start. You may also need resource consents from your local district council, so it’s a good idea to get in touch with them too. Some large and/or complex proposals may require further information to be submitted with the application.

Contact us or call Waikato Regional Council's Resource Use Freephone 0800 800 402 to discuss your proposal before you put pen to paper.

Required information

Make sure you fill out the correct application form. The forms set out the information that is required, and include (amongst other things):

  • A description of the activity or activities you want a consent for.
  • Details about the location of your activity/activities. It is helpful if you provide a map, aerial photograph or detailed sketch plan that shows:
    • orientation (with north arrow and scale)
    • your property boundary and neighbouring properties (as well as neighbouring property owners' names)
    • the nearest country road or state highway
    • any existing or proposed access roads, farm tracks, works or buildings in the area
    • the location of any waterways, wetlands or wildife habitats in the area
    • historic or waahi tapu sites
    • geothermal features
    • the location of any key landmarks.
  • An assessment of environmental effects (AEE).
  • A description of any permitted activities that are part of the proposal, and how the relevant permitted activity rules in the regional plan are proposed to be complied with.
  • An assessment against Part 2 (purpose and principles) of the RMA.
  • An assessment against the policies and objectives of the Waikato Regional Council's plans and any relevant national instruments.

If you need to get a resource consent from another organisation, such as your district council, you will also need to let us know:

  • the resource consents you need from that organisation
  • whether or not you’ve already applied for these other consents.